Spoonful: A Gathering of Stone Soup Poets

An extension of Cambridge's Stone Soup Poetry Venue.

Christine Casner






Untitled

It is easy to say
...And honestly so
I cannot remember the last time
I fell asleep beside someone
Not remembering the falling asleep itself
Just an awareness of the closeness of another
Being holding me next to me.

At 6:30 a.m. it is difficult to write
My hand is speaking my brain is still asleep
And waking, slowly, pours out of my hand onto this page
Once again, I do not know what I am trying to say.

We talked a lot last night
And knowing you better now
I see in through those beautiful eyes
Eyes that no longer haunt me
Or will they haunt me now forever?

Ah, my confident one
You hide so well the turmoil inside
Or do you not?
Another question that time will answer
Time will, in all its tuneful turning
Allow me to know you
So few and such morning songs.

Do not be nervous my new old friend
Do not be afraid of red wine kisses
My red wine kisses
Perhaps someday together I may show you
Where and how two bodies
Will not go bump in the night

Wear me like a glove
And I will sing you like a song
All the way home..........

How is it I find you now
Find you here
At the end at the edge
Of so many,
Oh so many years.