Spoonful: A Gathering of Stone Soup Poets

An extension of Cambridge's Stone Soup Poetry Venue.

Poem by Marc D. Goldfinger




Photo by Cindy Williams



Significant Other

I find myself
checking the veins on
the arms of pretty women
strolling through Harvard Square.
Double-pierced tongue; aerial
spikes through bodies suspended; bird
beaks biting the skull of sensual strangers; blood
spattered orgasms spandex the mind; met
her on a Sunday, handcuffs too tight.
God chooses

our soulmates; I want the woman with the Ankh
tattoed on her ankle, I think of pyramids
when we fuck. She feeds her raven
dead parakeets, places her daschund in the cage
with the boa constrictor, drops lamprey eels
into her giant goldfish pond, prays for hot
days. Says she wants to eat

me live but doesn't want me to live
through it, she shreds Brillo into my
spaghetti; laces my heroin
with digitalis; stretches wire across
bicycle paths I use daily; she pours
quicklime into my condoms; God

chooses our soulmates; I want
the woman with the teeth.